Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Great and Teribble Beauty (Gemma Doyle Trilogy Book 1) - Libba Bray

When Gemma Doyle turns 16, tragedy befalls her family. She's then sent from India to London, a place she's always longed for. But what greets her at Spence Academy isn't at all what she'd expected. Here, girls are trained to become proper ladies; the ultimate goal of which to become the perfect wives for their husbands. However, Gemma's independent streak and unladylike ways prevent her from fitting right in the Academy.

That's not where Gemma's problems end, though. She clashes with a group of the most powerful girls in school, which always guarantees to make any newcomer's life a hardship. And if that's not enough, she's bothered by terrible visions... of the future? As Gemma tries to figure out the changes happening to her, a mysterious boy appears, telling her to shut out these visions, or else, suffer the consequences.

****

Sounds really mysterious, huh? Yeah, it really is. This is actually one of the books that kept me up late during these past few days. From the first few pages, I was struck with the author's refreshing way of writing. Humorous without sacrificing the seriousness of the plot. Even if mystery's not your cup of tea, the book's witty lines are sure to hold your interest. Plus, it's a mystery not involving vampires. So that's something new. Not that I don't like vampire young adult books, because I do. haha.

And I love Gemma! I can totally relate to her, not with the visions, but with her not-so-ladylike attitude and her desire to not be the center of attention. Though there were instances in the novel where I wanted to hate her, I found that I can't. She's just likable that way, I guess. Or maybe that's just me.

Conclusion? Certified good read! Definitely guaranteed to get you hooked. (Though that's not much of a statement as a lot of books get me hooked. LOL.)

I just got myself copies of the remaining books in the trilogy, Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing, so watch out for that!

P.S. Don't you just love the book cover? I do!

Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 3.5/5

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails