Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

The protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet, belongs to a family of relatively average financial status. If you've read other books set in 19th century England, you'll know that at that time, all mothers' ultimate goal was to marry off their daughters. And that's exactly how her mother is.

A very wealthy gentleman named Charles Bingley moves into their neighborhood and throws a sort of acquaintance party (him being new to the place and all). Jane, Elizabeth's sister, soon catches the attention of Mr. Bingley to the dismay of his long time friend, Mr. Darcy. Lizzie, thinking of him as someone standing between her sister and Mr. Bingley, develops a dislike for Mr. Darcy and let's just say, she's not exactly afraid to show it either. However, what Lizzie doesn't know is that. . . Mr. Darcy is secretly falling for her!

****

You've probably guessed from the username I use that I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen. And this book is what started it all. It's her most popular book, and as some would say, the greatest. For me, it's definitely one of her top 3 best books. Yep, it isn't my favorite among her works. Why? You'll find out when I write about it. :) Nevertheless, it not being my favorite doesn't mean that it falls short of its reputation. If you've never read anything by Jane Austen before, I suggest you try this one out first. You'll definitely love its heroine Lizzie Bennet, who's the epitome of all things you'd admire in a woman: loyal, independent, and fierce. Really just the complete opposite of the very common damsel-in-distress types! As for Mr. Darcy? All I can say is *Ohmygosh, he's my dream guy!*

****

This one's been adapted into the big screen lots of times, the most recent one starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. Though it's less that what I expected, I guess it did okay in getting across the general feel of the book. Plus, Matthew Macfadyen fits perfectly with how I imagined Mr. Darcy to be!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails