Saturday, June 27, 2009

James Patterson Writes Romance!

I know, I know. I'm not a James Patterson expert/die-hard fan or anything but I do know that he mainly writes thriller (well, except for the Maximum Ride series). So just imagine my surprise when I saw Sundays at Tiffany's at the bookstore. All I could think of was Ohmygosh, really?! I'm a big fan of the Maximum Ride series and I also enjoyed couple of his other mystery/thriller books that I've read so I just knew that this was gonna be a very interesting read!

Here's a little synopsis:

As a child, Jane was your typical daughter of a rich and successful mother who doesn't seem to have any time for her. Well, except for one thing. She has an imaginary friend, Michael, who's all the things you'd probably want for a boyfriend: handsome, caring, kind, and just about everything nice. But then he had to leave her, breaking Jane's little heart.

Several years have passed, and Jane is now a successful and confident woman. On the outside, she seems to have everything. But then, she meets Michael, her long lost imaginary friend. What does it mean? Who really is Michael?

****

Though this is a love story, it's obvious that James Patterson couldn't quite let go of his passion for mystery. :) Michael embodies that sweet and oh-so-ideal man that everyone absolutely loves. You just can't help but smile and feel happy when Jane and Michael are together. Their relationship is so easy and free, a perfect fit. Then again, this is a Patterson book so of course there are always those twists, which you can't possibly predict. LOL.

Overall, I'd recommend it, especially to those who have read something written by James Patterson and who would love to see how he does with a love story! :)

Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 4/5

****

I read Sundays at Tiffany's before Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, though I think the latter came out first. This one's written solely by James Patterson, no co-authors, so I guess I could say that you have to read this if you want to see how Patterson really writes his romance.

Synopsis:

Katie Wilkinson's life came crashing down when the man she loves suddenly announces that he can't see her anymore. The only thing he left behind was a diary, Suzanne's diary for her son, Nicholas.

As Katie reads on, she founds out that Suzanne's husband and the man she loves are one and the same. Although she's filled with heartbreak and pain, Katie continues to read, wanting to find out what happened and to know what will happen next.

****

If I was alone while reading this, I would have cried until my eyes turned red and puffy. As I wasn't, I had to hide my face behind a book everytime my eyes well up then discreetly reach for my hankie to wipe the tears off. Patterson did it so well that you'd wonder, How can a man do that? Not to be gender-biased or anything, but seriously, how could he?! LOL.

Once you start reading this book, you won't be able to put it down (except for eating or bathroom breaks, I guess. :D). Trust me, you'll get the feeling that you have to (must!) know what really happens at the end of the book. And you won't get any hints from James Patterson at all, as he'll keep you guessing and giddy for that next page!

Plot: 3.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 4/5

6 comments:

okbolover said...

Of the two I'd probably read "Sundays at Tiffanys" it looks good. It's hard to see Patterson write these kinds of books as I'm so used to him with the thrillers and the Maximum Ride novels.

bookjourney said...

I loved Sizanne's Diary for Nicholas. I sat down one afternoon to glance at the cover, next thing I knew it was two hours later - I had whipped through the book and was left in total awe of what had just happened. I was completely sucked into the book!

Joy said...

How interesting! The synopsis is very intriguing, and I'd like to see Patterson doing romance. I might have to check this one out.

austenfan said...

@okbolover: Yeah, I was surprised when I found out he writes love stories too. I think he wrote another romance novel, though I'm not sure of the title. Will have to check that out. :)

@bookjourney: True! Early on you think you know what will happen but you're totally in for a big surprise!

@joy: Yep. You should! I enjoyed both of the books. :)

Melissa said...

I really ought to pick up Sundays at Tiffany's. I only know Patterson for his mysteries.

And I'd be happy to do a link exchange. Adding your blog to my blog roll right now and becoming a follower!! :-)

austenfan said...

Thanks Melissa! I'm following your blog as well. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails