Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr

I know I'm supposed to put up my review of The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray, but I only have a few minutes to post a new entry and this is just too good to pass up!

****

As I'm too lazy to come up with a summary, I'll just give you guys and gals what's written at the back of the book! :) Don't worry, I couldn't have created a more lovely description!

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty-especially if they learn of her Sight-and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. His is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost-regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.

****
One word: LOVELY.

I was really fascinated with this book, probably because it's the first time I've read something that centered on fairies, or as they put it, faeries (Don't ask. I don't know the difference. Haha.). I missed reading books that relate the stories using the different characters' point of views. The only other recent book I've read with the same style of writing is the Blue Bloods series, which by the way, is another awesome series which I'll probably review later.

There are actually two guys competing for Aislinn's attention: Keenan and Seth. I can't really decide which one I like more. They're both adorable yet totally different at the same time. I know, I'm a sucker for cute fictional (male) characters! I also enjoyed reading the story from both Aislinn's and Donia's perspectives. I guess knowing several characters' thoughts helps in getting you into the book. Well, that's just me. I know it can get confusing for some. :)

Complaints? Hmm. I would liked a bit more description of the character's physical appearance, Aislinn's especially! To just... help me imagine how the book plays out. Also, I hope Melissa Marr made it longer. Even just a bit longer, since the book seemed to end too quickly for me. Oh yeah, there were a lot of unexplained um, concepts regarding the fey world, which I'm hoping will be explained in the latter books in the series.

Go try this one out, definitely a great YA read! :)

Plot: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Book Love: 4/5

4 comments:

anotherpageisused said...

I love, love, love this book!

The series is amazing!

I'm reading the sequal, Fragile Eternity, right now. It's really good(:

Good review too!

-Lexi(:

austenfan said...

Hi Lexi! Oooh, you're reading Fragile Eternity! Haven't managed to get myself a copy of that one yet. As of now, I'm reading Ink Exchange. :)

Taschima Cullen said...

I loved this book! It's very good! ^^

sundcarrie said...

Sounds like something I will have to ad to my to be read list. I like your reviews you have quite a few on books I have on my amazon wish list.

Related Posts with Thumbnails