Monday, July 13, 2009

Marked (House of Night Book 1) - P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

After two weeks, I've finally had the time to post a new review! Yay! Sorry 'bout that but I've been so busy with school work these days. Anyway, I just finished this book a couple of hours ago so I made a random decision to review this first despite my long list of to-be-reviewed books. :)

****

A little something from the back of the book:

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change.Not all of those who are chosen do.It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

****
First, let me just say that I absolutely loved the book cover! The really intricate pattern was such a nice touch! Now on with the review. :)

When I first saw that the authors were actually a mother and daughter pair, I couldn't believe it! I guess I can't really imagine how that would work in writing a book. But based from Marked, I think they did okay. How the story was written was pretty good, even amusing most of the time. I'd say they did a good job in portraying Zoey's character. From her narration alone, you get to know her better and maybe even like her (like I did!). My only complaint is that it lacks a bit more action, considering that it is a vampire, or rather vampyre, novel. I'm looking for that 'Wow! I didn't see that one coming!' feeling that I got from say, Vampire Academy or Blue Bloods. But then again, I've said before that I don't like comparing books so I'll stop there. :p

Overall though, it has a great plotline and an interesting take on vampires. I'll definitely be reading the next book! :) More Erik, please! :)

Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3.5/5
Book Love: 3.5/5

6 comments:

bookjourney said...

Good review. I am not a fan of all the "copy cat" writers that are hanging on to Twilights coat tales but this one sounds different. I like that.

Have a great Monday! :)

Sky said...

I just finished reading this book, and I agree with you, but for the same reason I can't wait to read the next one, Betrayed, because I'm hoping it'll get better, so cross your fingers!

Jess said...

Erik is pretty yummy huh!? Just wait until you get farther into the series!
-Jess

austenfan said...

@bookjourney: Yep, it does have a unique story. :)

@sky: I really hope it gets better, but I think it will. :) I mean, it won't get to what, 6 books (?) if it's not good, right? :)

@jess: Oh my gosh, you just made me so giddy for the next books!!!!

sundcarrie said...

I have read them all only one was a great disappointment. I liked them all but I thought a few of the books were really good. I am waiting on the release of the next book and if it is as bad as the last one I quit. There is a lot to work with so I hope they redeem themselves in book 6.

austenfan said...

@sundcarrie: It's amazing how we have to know what happens in the next book even if we didn't enjoy the previous one that much, right? :) And I hope book 6 does great! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails