Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Clare and Henry met when Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six. They were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry, thirty-one. No, that’s not a typo. You read it right. Henry suffers from the Chrono-Displacement Disorder, a condition wherein his genetic timeclock resets periodically and he suddenly finds himself pulled into either the past or the future. The Time Traveler’s Wife relates the story of the couple whose love was constantly tested by the very same thing that brought them together.

The novel was narrated using the two main characters’ POVs, a style that I’d say was not only refreshing but perfectly apt and effective in conveying Clare and Henry’s inner conflicts. It was fun to witness the characters’ complementary thoughts and reactions on particular instances of their married life, something that’s a bit rare among contemporary novels.

One thing you might find objectionable with the book is the explanation on the time traveling bit. Though I appreciate how the author tried to explain the phenomenon through molecular genetics… I just didn’t get it! The idea seemed too far-fetched for me. But then again, that’s fiction. :) But though the framework of the book must seem almost of a paranormal quality, the rest of the story is surprisingly very natural. Niffenegger succeeded in creating a pair of believable characters; a perfect fit whether engaged in easy banter or joined in moments bursting with unashamed sensuality. I, for one, wanted to wrap them up just so they’d be together forever in their happy place. :) I know, I’m such a girl!

Overall, The Time Traveler’s Wife is recommended for anyone who ‘s up for a little love story with a bit of a sci-fi twist. And oh, do make sure you have some Kleenex nearby! :)

Plot: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 4/5
****

The Time Traveler’s Wife is Audrey Niffenegger’s debut novel. Her next book, Her Fearful Symmetry, is set to be released this coming October 1st.

****

And oh, I've recently watched its film adaptation, you can find my review of it here.

10 comments:

booktumbling said...

I enjoyed this book also but found a few contradictions, or at least they seemed like contradictions. Perhaps I either read too much or too little into the time travel rules. Glad you enjoyed it. Now I am off to read your review of the movie. Debating whether to see it or not!

austenfan said...

Hiya booktumbling! Thanks for dropping by! :)

You should watch the movie. If only for the purpose of seeing how it matched up to the book. :)

Nely said...

I absolutely loved this story too. I still recommend it to all my friends. I'm super stoked because they just sent me Audrey Niffenegger's upcoming release, Her Fearful Symmetry for review. Love your review. :D

Nely

austenfan said...

@Nely: Wow. I'm so jealous! I want one too. :p Anyway, will wait for your review. :)

vvb32 reads said...

loved this book too. time travel books are always fun especially thrown in with romance. still have to watch the movie. and can't wait for the new book! yay for audrey!

okbolover said...

I actually haven't read this book yet :D I want to though just haven't gotten around to it. Great review though makes me now want to pick it up. Hopefully it's around as because of the movie the book will probably be popular again and be out from the library for a while. :D

NotNessie said...

Arg... I read your movie and book reviews, but I'm still not sure whether I'll read/see it. I think I need someone to just go ahead and spoil the ending for me, cuz I don't think I could stand it if it's sad at the end.

Jenny said...

Great review! I haven't read this yet but heard about the whole molecular thing. Weird, but I still want to read it, haha!

austenfan said...

@vv32: Hope her new book is as good (or better) as this one!

@okbolover and jenny: Yes, yes! Read it! :p

@notnessie: Aww, I don't think I can bear to spoil the ending for you. :p

NotNessie said...

Still conflicted...

Related Posts with Thumbnails