Tuesday, September 15, 2009

BBAW Interview Swap w/ Natasha of Maw Books!

Okay, my first BBAW post! :)


Today, I'll be interviewing Natasha of Maw Books! She's already put up her interview (of me) and you guys can go check it out here.


1. Can you tell us (or me) something about yourself? (Haha. It sounds like a job interview.)

Well, I'm a stay-at-home mom of two very active boys age 2 1/2 and almost four. I've always enjoyed reading. In fact, here's a random tidbit. I've kept a journal off and on ever since I was eight years old. The very first line? "I'm eight years old and I've read all of the Little House on
the Praire books." Too bad I didn't say what I thought about it otherwise I could say I've been writing reviews since I was little. All through middle school and high school I remember making all kinds of book lists and wish I could find them.

2. Aside from blogging, what other activities do you enjoy doing?

Well, I love to spend time with my boys. Despite the fact that it seems like I'm online all the time, I do get out with them everyday. We played all summer long. This fall is going to be busy. My oldest is in his first dance class, just started preschool and we attend story time at the library three times a week which we've been doing for three years. I'm a huge gardener. Before I started blogging, I occupied my time by taking a Master Gardener class and received my certificate which I must admit is one of the things which I'm most proud of. I love being out in my flower garden, planning, planting, pruning and also harvesting my vegetable garden. I also enjoy photography a lot and that's what I actually have my undergraduate degree in.

3. You've been shortlisted for a LOT of the BBAW awards? How does that make you feel? Is there any particular award that you would want most to win?

Ha, well yes. To tell you the truth I'm a tad emberrased and very humbled. But I must admit that I try to put a lot of work into my blog, so it's nice to know that people are enjoying it. A lot of people say that they'd still blog if nobody read their blog because they started their blog as a reading journal for themselves. That was never the case with me when I started my blog. I started blogging to promote books and authors. If nobody read my blog, I wouldn't put as much effort into it or stop completely. As for the award that I would most like to win? Well, I was nominated for most eclectic blog but not shortlisted. To tell you the truth, that was the one category that I thought for sure was my best chance. Goes to show you that you can't count on anything!

4. What's your favorite book genre? Your least favorite? :p Why?

Hmm . . . my favorite book genre. I'm always drawn to books that are about the human condition and social issues whether it's fiction or non-fiction. So basically the ones that make you really depressed! I'm partial to literay fiction, historical fiction, comtemporary fiction, classics, memoirs and children's books including picture books, middle grade and young adult. My least favorite genres? Well, I don't read romance, thrillers, crime, urban fantasy or anything that is particularly vulgar, overly sexual, heavy language or extremely graphic. Like I mentioned in the last answer, I'm fairly eclectic and book blogging has expanded my reading selections in ways that I never imagined.

5. Ok, this always gets asked. What is/are your favorite book/s? What do you like most about them?

Well, I've never been one to rank books. A book that might appeal to me as a thirty year old wouldn't have been the same when I was eighteen. How about a few of my favorites just since I started blogging. I would count The Only True Genius in the Family by Jennie Nash, Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center and Shooting the Moon by Francis O'Roark Dowell because each one spoke to me personally. I have fallen in love with everything Jacqueline Woodson has written because she's a simply beautiful writer. I

6. I posted something on my personal blog, entitled The Hot Ones Are Always Fictional. Can you add more to my list? :)

I've been sitting on this question for half an hour. I went through my entire review list and I've just realized that I don't read any books with hot characters in them! I must be missing out! I suppose the exception is The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I'm going to add Gale to your list.

7. When's the best time for you to read? In the morning, noon, evening?

I seriously have no idea how I fit my reading in between watching my kids and blogging. I try to sneak it whenever I can. I'll sit outside while my kids play in the sandbox, or try to get wherever we are going about 15 minutes early so I can sit in the car while the kids are strapped in their carseats and can't do anything about sitting there. I used to read mostly at night but that's been replaced by computer time, so I guess I don't really have a set schedule.

8. What's your favorite reading 'position'. Lying in a comfy chair? Lying down on your bed? Standing (?!) LOL.

Well, we do have a pretty comfy couch. If I read in bed for too long I fall asleep but I read there too. We did invest in a pretty awesome hammock, which is tons of fun.

9. You have a very widely-read and well-established blog. Is there any advice you can give to new bloggers out there? (ME! :D)

Be patient. I'm completly shocked with how quickly new bloggers are assimilated into the community so I feel that bloggers who are frustrated with their stats when they've been blogging for only a month need to realize that everybody before them has been in the same boat. In all honesty when I started my blog in October of '07, I was only getting three hits a day by January. That's how far outside the community I was. In fact when I started my blog, I'd never have even read a blog before, much less a book one. My sister set me up and got me started as I really was clueless. New bloggers just need to reach out and not be scared of what's out there. Be open and friendly and you'll be instantly welcomed with open arms into an awesome community.

10. So, for the last question, if you'll ever write a book, what would it be like? A romance with your requisite dark and brooding hero? A thriller with a crazy murderer? Or something of the paranormal genre?

Well, like I mentioned earlier I actually don't read any of those genres, so I doubt I'd write a book along those lines. LOL Hmm . . . if I were to write a book . . . that's a hard question. I'll just throw this out there although I have never thought about it before (a lot of people ask me if I'd like to be a writer because I'm such a huge reader and the answer is always no) - I'd say probably a middle grade fiction book. Maybe something about a girl moving across the country and discovering that not everybody is the same religion as her family simply because that's what happened to me when I was eleven. It was a culture shock to say the least.

****

Thank you Natasha for being such a gracious interviewee! I had fun reading your answers. :)

Now, head on over to Maw Books and visit Natasha's fabulous blog! :)

20 comments:

Meghan said...

I loved The Little House on the Prairie books! I have no idea how old I was when I read them though. Great interview ladies! =)

Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm

Chris said...

Great job guys!

Heather J. said...

I just read Natasha's interview with you and wanted to come by and say hello since I'd never been to your blog before. :)

wordlily said...

Great interview!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Love the questions! Natasha, I had no idea you were such a gardener! I would have asked you all kinds of advice (about my poor crazy garden).

NotNessie said...

Great interview! Now I'll have to go check out hers of you.

readwhatyouknow said...

Oh, the first line in your journal made my day! I wish I had been that cool as a eight year old. Pretty sure that my first journal started with, "I had Corn Pops for breakfast."

Thanks for the great interview, Issa!

- Katie

Beth F said...

I too read all the Little House Books, but I don't remember my age. Fun interview!

katherinecenter said...

Oh, I just love Natasha Maw!! Great interview!!!

bookjourney said...

Great review that was a lot of fun to read!

Marjorie said...

Great interview - I loved the bit about arriving 15 minutes early and keeping the kids strapped in :-)

Jenn said...

Thank you for the great interview! I think a couch is a little to squishy for reading on, but a hammock sounds very relaxing. :)

Btw, tagged you here for a meme: http://booksatmidnight.blogspot.com/2009/09/abc-meme.html. Hope you like it!

Suey said...

Great job on interviewing one of the most popular bloggers out there! Very fun.

Jeanne said...

It's fun to learn more about Natasha, and to discover your blog!

Ti said...

Nice interview. This is my first time stopping by so I thought I'd say "Hi!."

austenfan said...

Thanks to everyone who dropped by! It's great to meet you all! :)

Jennie Nash said...

I'm blushing that Natasha cited The Only True Genius in the Family as one of her favorite books! WOW! I feel like I'VE won an award! THanks for the great interview.

softdrink said...

Great interview Issa! And how cool that Jennie Nash stopped by!

austenfan said...

@Jennie Nash: Thanks for dropping by! I read your book's synopsis and it really does sound good. :)

@softdrink: Hiya! Glad you dropped by! :)

pachuvachuva said...

Now this is nice. I've been a follower of Natasha's blog and it's good to have found your interview with her. Also read her interview about you. It's nice to know more about one's fave bloggers. ^_^

Related Posts with Thumbnails