Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy - Gallagher Girls Book 2 - Ally Carter


Spoilers for those who haven't read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (the 1st book of the Gallagher Girls series. (My review is spoiler-free, though. :p)

Cammie Morgan may have a genius IQ and attend the best school in the country, but as she starts the spring semester of her sophomore year there are a lot of things she doesn't know. Like will her ex-boyfriend even remember she exists? And how much trouble did she really get in last semester? And, most of all, exactly why is her
mother acting so strangely?

All Cammie wants is a nice, normal semester, but she's about to learn her greatest lesson yet—that when you go to a school for spies, nothing is ever as it seems.

****

I really enjoyed this second installment of the Gallagher Girls series. It was way way better than the first book, which is saying something cause I had a lot of fun reading that one.

I definitely liked Ally Carter's writing better here than in the first one. The plot was more definite and the girls' (mis)adventures were more exciting. I love the twists! The added spy mystery was very effective - so effective I finised the book in one sitting! (That, or I'm really just way into reading. :p) And I'm loving the characters' quips and quirkiness - Cammie's boy-ignorance , Liz's uber-geekiness, Bex's flirty spy self (it's an unusual mix but it works!), and Macey's amusing sarcasm - more and more!

If you've read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, then you have to read Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy. I found myself giggling althroughout reading it (seriously, giggling!) so if you're up for some (or lots of) fits of giggling, go pick this up. :)

*As for Cammie's love life, I'm still not sure how that will turn out. If you've read the 3rd book, please oh please, refrain from leaving any spoilers in the comments! :)*

Note: You can't get any more YA than this. So if you're not a fan of young adult books (the for-girls-only kind of YA), I'm not sure you'd like this as much as I did. Haha.

Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 4.5/5

5 comments:

NotNessie said...

I thought this book was so fun! Glad you liked it too.

austenfan said...

I'm hoping the 3rd book will be even better! :)

vvb32 reads said...

love thjs book series too! spy stuff is fun!

btw: you've just been awarded again ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2009/08/super-comments-award.html

austenfan said...

@vvb32 reads: Cool! Thanks! :D

dissectingperfection said...

Oh I loved this one... still haven't read #3 but I'm excited all the same!

(and it's okay to read the GBC review, I think. It's mostly spoiler-free, and the few that are there were revealed pretty early on)

Related Posts with Thumbnails