Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

****

I was super psyched to finally read The Hunger Games since it's been very highly recommended by other book bloggers. And yes, it didn't disappoint! In fact, it exceeded my expectations!

The novel is set in the future, specifically, in Panem, which as the description says, is the remains of what used to be the United States. Sounds very gloomy, right? That was my initial reaction too. For a moment there, I started to doubt if I would like the book as much as the other book bloggers did. But as the story progressed, I found myself turning the pages more and more quickly, especially when The Hunger Games began.

I really liked Katniss as a character. In fact, I'd say she's now one of my favorite female protagonists! At such an early age, she had to learn how to be tough for her family's survival. I loved that despite the fact that she had to be so mature early, she's still so totally ignorant about other stuff - by that, I meant boys. :)

Since I don't want to spoil the story for those of you who haven't read it yet, I'd keep this short.

All I can say is it has: fantastic writing, awesome characterization, very solid imagery of the setting, and enough suspense to keep you reading till the end!

Oh, and by the way, I'm on TEAM PEETA! :)

****

NotNessie of Today's Adventure reviewed The Hunger Games and loved it too!

****

Want more proof of how awesome The Hunger Games is? Check out what Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer had to say about it! (I know! It's so weird to put those two names together since, well, it's no secret that Stephen King doesn't um, like Stephenie Meyer all that much, but what can I do? LOL. Oookay, I'm getting out of topic here. :p)

Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 5/5

7 comments:

ladystorm said...

Sounds like a cool book. I am going to put it on my wish list.

NotNessie said...

Great review! And YAY for Team Peeta!

Thanks for mentioning me. I will go ahead and link ya right back.

wdebo said...

Awesome review!! Woohoo another Team Peeta supporter!!

This book WAS amazing and Katniss was such an amazing character :DD

Sandra Stiles said...

I absolutely loved this book. Finally got a copy of Catching Fire and will read it in the next day or two. Have heard that it is even better than the Hunder Games.

austenfan said...

@ladystorm: Yep, I'm sure you won't be disappointed w/ it! :)

@NotNessie and wdebo: Thanks! Go Team Peeta! :p

@Sandra: I just finished reading Catching Fire and yes, it's really good! :)

Ayang said...

Hey, Issa! I have to read Catching Fire first to decide which team I'm on, but I sort of like Peeta...for myself that is. Hehehehehe

austenfan said...

Mara! I want Peeta for myself too! Haha.

Related Posts with Thumbnails