Monday, September 21, 2009

In My Mailbox (4)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi of The Story Siren. :)

This week, I bought two books and they are...

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

I've just finished reading it! (ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER!)







The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson (previously published as A Countess Below Stairs)

By the award-winning and bestselling author of JOURNEY TO THE RIVER SEA, a novel that sings with characteristic Ibbotson warmth and wit Anna, a young countess, has lived in the glittering city of St Petersburg all her life in an ice-blue palace overlooking the River Neva. But when revolution tears Russia apart, her now-penniless family is forced to flee to England. Armed with an out-of-date book on housekeeping, Anna determines to become a housemaid and she finds work at the Earl of Westerholmes crumbling but magnificent mansion. The staff and the family are sure there is something not quite right about their new maid but she soon wins them over with her warmth and dedication. Then the young Earl returns home from the war and Anna falls hopelessly in love. But they can never be together: Rupert is engaged to the snobbish and awful Murieland anyway, Anna is only a servant. Or so everybody thinks .

I've never read anything by Eva Ibbotson but something about it having a historical touch tugged at me and made me buy it. Hope it turns out good! :)

9 comments:

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

I just got Catching Fire this week as well..though not as quick to read it as you were!!

Glad you loved it!

Anna said...

Sounds like you enjoyed Catching Fire as much as I did. It stinks that we have to wait a year for the next book!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

NotNessie said...

*wants her OWN copy of Catching Fire*

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I LOVED Catching Fire! I'm so excited for the finale.

GardenofEdee said...

Catching Fire is amazing!! Enjoy!!

reviewsbylola said...

I just bought both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire earlier today. Not books I would generally read but the enthusiasm about them is infecting!

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. I've read a couple of books by Eva Ibbotson before. Hope you enjoy reading your books.

Jenn-ay said...

I've read two books by Ibbotson. I really want to read more of her books. They're cute ya romance. Enjoy and HAPPY readings!!!

Alexia561 said...

I keep hearing about Catching Fire, so guess I will have to check it out. Sounds good! Enjoy your books!

Related Posts with Thumbnails