Thursday, October 29, 2009

Demon Princess: Reign or Shine - Michelle Rowen

Description from the author's site:

For Nikki Donovan, being a teenager can be hell. Literally.

As if trying to fit in at a new school and navigating the social scene isn’t enough stress for her, sixteen-year-old Nikki Donovan just found out that her long-lost father is, in fact, the demon king of the Shadowlands — the world that separates and protects ours from the Underworld. When she is brought there by the mysterious (and surprisingly cute) messenger Michael, she learns that her father is dying, and that he wants her to assume the throne. To complicate matters, a war is brewing between the Shadowlands and the Underworld, her half-demon qualities are manifesting, and her growing feelings for Michael are forbidden. Ruling a kingdom, navigating a secret crush, and still making it home by curfew — what’s a teenage demon princess to do?

****
My expectations: FUN FUN FUN!

...what happened? I'm so glad it is!

It's always a good thing when a book presents a concept/idea that hasn't been done before. And that's the case with Demon Princess: Reign or Shine. I'm not absolutely sure that this is the first YA book that tackles demons... and half-demons, but in a land filled with vampire-love stories, this book is definitely one to stand out.

Here are some more reasons why this book stands out:

1. Nikki, a former social outcast, is the high school queen's best friend, who is NOT a mean girl. (I love that!)

2. Instead of the guy always protecting the girl (very very common), here, Nikki is actually stronger than Michael. (Yay for Girl Power!)

3. The guy (Michael) is cute, but in a subtle kind of way. As in, not too many girls going gaga over him. :)

And the book was narrated with just the right amount of lightness and fun I want with my YA. Definitely fun!

The only low point for me was that I guessed how the ending would go too easily. Then again, maybe I've just been reading too much mystery that I end up spoiling the ending for myself (am I speaking logically here? Haha.).

But overall, it's fun! It's new! And if you want that, I suggest you go pick this up! :)

Btw, Reign or Shine is the 1st book in a series. The next book, Reign Check, will be out on June 2010 (according to Goodreads).

Plot: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Book Love: 4/5

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Nice review! Sounds like a fun read, and I'm interested to see how a relationship like that will work out. Go, girls! :)

Sara said...

I can't wait until I get my hands on a copy of this book... it looks so good and I keep hearing great things about it! Great review!

Donna said...

You have an award! Come get!

austenfan said...

@Jenn: That we will see (I think) on the next book. :)

@Sara: Hope you get to like it too! :)

@Donna: Ohmigosh, thank you soooo much! I really need to pass on awards soon. :)

Arielle said...

Good review! I really like the cover of this one too :-)

Jenn-ay said...

Hmmm, this sounds like a quick and fun read. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails