Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods #4) - Melissa de la Cruz


I decided not to include a synopsis so as not to provide spoilers for those who haven't read the first 3 books in the series. Go ahead, read them already! :)

The Van Alen Legacy, for me, is the best in the series so far. Melissa de la Cruz's style seems to have improved in her latest book. The book featured Schuyler's, Bliss's, and Mimi's POVs, and I was glad that each chapter indicated which character's thoughts were being narrated. That saved me from the confusion I got from the three other novels, wherein I, sometimes, had to read a couple of paragraphs before I realized whose perspective it was. The plot was very unexpected, not at all what I was expecting coming off from the third book. Though I'm not complaining, after all, who wants a predictable story? Okay, I'm getting a bit spoiler-y here...

Though I did say that Melissa de la Cruz's writing style has improved, I'm still not a fan of it. I particularly don't really like she used ellipses all over the place (or book). Ellipses are good for effect. But when a whole paragraph is filled with it, hmm... it's not so great. Still, I still love the plot and the characters (ehem, Jack Force, ehem) so I'm going to keep watching out for this series.

As for the cover, it's gorgeous as usual (all the Blue Bloods books' covers are gorgeous!) but it's my favorite among the bunch! :)

Plot: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Book Love: 4/5

4 comments:

ParaJunkee said...

I read the first one, but my TBR was so big, I couldn't make it through to the second one, but I have been dying to get deeper into this series.


Great review... :)

austenfan said...

Hi ParaJunkee! Good luck on your TBR pile and hope you can get on with the series soon. :)

Britt said...

These books aren't really my style, but the covers are just STUNNING!

okbolover said...

Read the first one, meh. The second one I couldn't finish. It's just not for me. I think it was the over writing of what the characters were wearing. I didn't care much for that. It annoyed me to the point where I had to drop them. Good review though, glad you like the series.

Related Posts with Thumbnails