Friday, November 13, 2009

Audrey, Wait! - Robin Benway

Description from Goodreads

California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!,” a break-up song that's so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can't hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.
Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.



****

I was expecting...
Strangely enough, I wasn't expecting much despite the large number of positive reviews I've read about it.

....then
Audrey, Wait! was a surprise - a huge, monstrous, explosive surprise! Every YA fan should read it!

I wasn't expecting much from this book because I hate break-ups. They just doesn't sit well with my true-love-believing and hopeless-romantic personality. And Audrey, Wait! started with a break-up. If it weren't for glowing reviews from other book bloggers, I would have probably kept it at the bottom of my TBR pile. Now, I'm so grateful for all those reviews as Audrey, Wait! is now one of my favorite books of all time!

Audrey is one of those characters whom you just can't help but like. She's frank and honest (without being mean). She's a good friend. She's lively (as in not boring). All these without suffering from the usual setback of other female MCs - meaning she's not a geek/nerd/social outcast. Yes, she's popular AND she's not a bi(a)tch. :) The other characters - Victoria (Audrey's quirky and crazy best friend), Jonah (Victoria's boyfriend), and James (the adorable co-worker) also helped in making the book an insanely fun and giggle-filled read.

Contrary to what I've said so far, Audrey Wait! is not all giggles and laughter. The book also depicted Audrey's growth from this fun-time-seeking party girl to someone who still knows how to have a good time but who slowly realizes the possible consequences of her actions. I even found myself shedding a tear or two over Audrey's frustrations and the unfairness of it all.

Honestly, I can't remember a thing that I didn't like about this book. Robin Benway's got pure talent and I can't wait to read more of her works!

Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 5/5

5 comments:

Lauren said...

There's something very infectious about your enthusiasm for this book. It's not something I'd usually go for either, but if it's that good, how can I miss out?! Adding this to my wishlist right away.

Milka said...

Great review. I read so much good reviews about this book and I had to lend it from the local library. I haven't still read it but your review totally made me want to start it RIGHT NOW. :)

austenfan said...

Lauren and Milka:

Yay! Do read it! I really hope you enjoy it too. :)

abc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
theothererin said...

One of the best books I read this summer. I highly recommend it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails