Sunday, November 8, 2009

In My Mailbox (9)

Hi everyone! I wasn't able to do an IMM post last week so I'll be featuring the book that I bought w/in the past couple of weeks. :)

*In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren*


Lovestruck Summer by Melissa Walker

Austin music fest
Yay, summer in Austin!
Good food, good times. Fun for everyone!
Okay, living with my sorority-brainwashed cousin, who willingly goes by "Party Penny," is not exactly what I had in mind.
All your favorite bands
But the cute musicians I've met totally make up for it . . . like Sebastian. Swoon.
All ages welcome
So why can't I stop thinking about Penny's friend All-American Russ and his Texas twang??
Saturday & Sunday, from noon to midnight
Don't wait up!





Fire by Kristin Cashore (prequel to Graceling)

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.





Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.



Beastly by Alex Flinn

I am a beast.
A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.





Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Book 1) by Louise Rennison

She has a precocious 3-year-old sister who tends to leave wet nappies at the foot of her bed, an insane cat who is prone to leg-shredding "Call of the Wild" episodes, and embarrassing parents who make her want to escape to Stonehenge and dance with the Druids. No wonder 14-year-old Georgia Nicolson laments, "Honestly, what is the point?" A Bridget Jones for the younger set, Georgia records the momentous events of her life--and they are all momentous--in her diary, which serves as a truly hilarious account of what it means to be a modern girl on the cusp of womanhood. No matter that her particular story takes place in England, the account of her experiences rings true across the ocean (and besides, "Georgia's Glossary" swiftly eradicates any language barriers).


That's it! FUN! FUN! FUN! What did you guys get? :)

11 comments:

ladystorm said...

You have some great ones! I loved Beastly and I want to read Uglies.

Here is mine:

http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/11/imm-saturdays-mailbox-raid.html

Lauren said...

There are some great books there. I really loved Uglies. I think the idea of a glossary in the Louise Rennison one is hilarious! Hope you enjoy them all.

Robolobolyn said...

Beastly looks really good! :) I really want to read it now! I can't believe I've never heard of it before now...

PS: The Uglies series was great! You'll love 'em!

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Nice books, Uglies is a good series :) Enjoy!

Nikki said...

Oooh, fun! Looks like a great haul. :)

Allison said...

Love the Uglies series! Enjoy

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

The Uglies and Georgia Nicolson series are two of my favourites. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Tena said...

you had yourself an awesome week! Enjoy all your books

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. Uglies is rally good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Thao said...

Beastly looks great. I hope you like it, and other books as well ^^

Fiona Robyn said...

Hello austenfan – I’m a British author and a fellow member of Bookblogs, and I wanted to invite you (and your readers) to participate in my Blogsplash – there’s more information at http://www.fionarobyn.com/thawblogsplash.htm. Thanks for listening!

Related Posts with Thumbnails