Monday, December 28, 2009

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Description:

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate Club.Her father’s “bunny rabbit.”
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Laundau-Banks.
No longer the kind of girl to take “no” for an answer.
Especially when “no” means she’s excluded from her boyfriend’s all-male secret society.
Not when her ex boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places.
Not when she knows she’s smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew’s lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.

This is the story of how she got that way.

****
Expectation/s: Ally Carter, one of my favorite YA authors, said that this is her favorite book of the decade so you can just imagine how excited I was to read this.

Then...: The plot was definitely original. I liked it but I wasn't as crazy about it as I'd expected to be.

This is the first E. Lockhart book I've read and I was very impressed with her writing style. Frankie's snappy and witty lines were reminiscent of Ally Carter's books, nevertheless, it retains a unique tone (which may be due to the fact that it's not as girly as the Gallagher Girls series). I had a hard time guessing what was gonna happen next in the book - which is a good thing - though I had an inkling on how it was gonna end based from Frankie's personality alone. Though the book did keep me hooked and itching to know more, I found the part of Frankie's pranks a bit dragging. I felt like it could have been better - with more action, rather than Frankie narrating what they did and how they did it.

The story mainly revolves around Frankie; all the other characters felt like they were just there to help with Frankie's development. Frankie is probably the main character with the strongest feminist views I've encountered. In her every thought, her girls-can-do-what-boys-can attitude is always present that you just gotta admire her for it. Well, ideally, that is very applaudable, but realistically, she's just so intense about it that it's bordering on paranoia.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks combines laughter, mysterious secret societies, and weird (but fun) girl scheming. If you like your books fun and quirky, you might want to read this. :)

Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 3/5

3 comments:

Dannie said...

I've been hearing a lot of good things of e. lockhart lately. Maybe I should pick up something from hers...

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Sounds cute :)

Simply_Megan said...

I actually really enjoyed this one. Good review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails