Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Description from Goodreads:

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction



****

I was expecting. . .
Well, A LOT. Vampires, romance, fun... the list goes on. I was so excited to read this book. [Our local bookstores didn't have it here so I even had to a special book order and wait for it for almost two months!] So yeah, I really had high expectations. :)

. . .then
It's unconventional. Some might say it's even a bit weird. But, ZOMG. I. Love. It.

Royalty + Vampires? Can you say awesome? And Lucius Vladescu? Can I just say awesome again?! Seriously, I am so in love with this book, I'm not sure I can make an objective review. :p

Just a few pages into it and I knew that this book was not at all what I expected. Readers looking for fun will definitely get it here, though it might not be your usual laugh-out-loud fun. For me, the fun part was a bit subtle - more like being taken aback at something Lucius said, slowly starting to find the humor, and then bam! I'd just find myself grinning and giggling like a fool. [I did say I love it, right?] Vampire politics also played a major role in this book, which was a unique and enjoyable treat.

The growth of the romance between Jessica and Lucius is - I can't find any other word for it - delicious. This was no love at first sight, which is totally believable. Instead, you get this slow building yet INTENSE feelings from both of them. Anyway, how can you be anything but intense with someone like Lucius Vladescu, who is the epitome of all things dark, handsome, gentlemanly, adorably-sarcastic, heroic... and a whole lot more. Btw, kudos to Beth Fantaskey for managing to keep Lucius' archaic language all throughout the book!

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is a book I would really love everyone who is a lover of all things mysterious and romantic to read. It may not wow you with unexpected twists and turns, but it's a book that will you leave with a charming feeling that will have you wanting to re-read (parts of) it long after you're through with the book.

Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 5/5

12 comments:

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I have seen this one - but thought - it looked a bit weird - but LOVED your review, I think I am off to add it to my want pile! THANK YOU

Book Whisperer said...

Cute review. i loved this book as well.

Nina said...

Great REview. I have this book on my tbr list and i am really looking forward reading it. It does sound very nice. :)

austenfan said...

@book crazy jenn:
Thanks! I really hope you like it! :)

@book whisperer:
Yay! Another fan! :)

@nina:
Oh, yes it is. Though I think it has received kind of mixed reviews. Hope you love it!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Wow! 10 of 10. Impressive!

reneevilla said...

hi where did u get this book and how much? im so gonna get a copy too.. great blog

austenfan said...

@juju: Yep, I really loved it. :)

@reneevilla: I'm from the Philippines so I had to special order it from Fully Booked. :)

reneevilla said...

@autenfan where in the phil? im in fom PI too... maybe if ur near we could just catch up, so cant wait for a month. i had to special order the dark divine, last dec 22, (1month waiting)(the agony)much love

reneevilla said...

@autenfan: if u dont mind

kath kath said...

How much did it cost for a special order in Fully Booked? I also want this book.. :(

austenfan said...

Kath Kath, the regular price for the book. :) I got the hardcover edition so it was around P700+. But I think paperback copies are already out in the US. :)

kath kath said...

I thought special order would cost more.. :P Got a hardbound copy last Monday in Fully Booked.. :D Meron na nga paperback sa Powerbooks, nakita ko din nung Monday..

Related Posts with Thumbnails