Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols


Description

Cute, available, and one cabin over....
Lori lives for summertime on the lake. She spends all season wakeboarding, swimming, and hanging with her friends — including the two hotties in the house next door. With the Vader brothers, Lori's always been one of the guys.
But while Lori and the "baby" brother, Adam, are inseparable friends, she can't deny a secret crush on Sean, the older Vader boy. This year Sean's been paying Lori a lot of attention, and not in a brotherly way.
But just as Lori decides to prove to Sean she's girlfriend material, she realizes that her role as girl friend to Adam may be even more important. And by trying so hard for the perfect summer romance, she could be going way overboard...

****

Pre-reading: I had a great time reading Jennifer Echols' The Ex-Games so I knew I was in for another fun ride with this book.

Post-reading: For such a short and (relatively) cheap book, it provided big-time entertainment. It reinforced my determination to read every Jennifer Echols book that I could get my hands on!

(minor spoilers ahead)

If you've just finished reading a book with a major cliffhanger ending and you'd like to put your anxiety over the sequel away for the moment, I'd advise you to try romantic comedies. Better yet, read The Boys Next Door.

The Boys Next Door tells the classic tale of a guy secretly crushing on his best friend, who unfortunately, is into the somebody else. In this case, with the guy's brother. Yes, the overall plot may be predictable, but this type of love story (for me) never fails. Echols' writing adds a fresh and fun twist to the story that's sure to keep the readers, especially love story fans, giggling over the cute and romantic scenes.

Lori, Adam, and Sean are not some larger than life characters. They're ordinary people with normal feelings and reactions, which the readers can definitely relate to. The story was narrated solely from Lori's POV, which is somewhat frustrating as I really wanted to take a glimpse of the story from Adam's perspective. Nevertheless, the delivery of the plot was still superb.

I noticed that only a few of my friends from Goodreads have read this book, so I'm giving a shout-out to everyone who enjoys romantic comedies to try The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols! I'm sure you won't regret it. :)

If you haven't heard about it yet, a sequel is coming up!

... to be released around August. Can't wait! :)

Plot: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Book Love: 5/5

7 comments:

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Thank you for participating in The Saturday Network!
And great review, thank you! I've also read the Ex Games, though I'm not a big fan of her romantic comedies. I might try this out though, since you liked it so much! :D

Nina said...

The cover is so cute! And also it sounds so sweet and fun to read!

Thanks for the review.

chelleyreads said...

i haven't heard of this book before but sounds like a cute, quick read! great review :)

NotNessie said...

Sounds fun! I'll have to check it out.

inthehammockblog said...

I loved this book too!! It's on my keeper shelf :) I was so surprised by how good it was too!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Ahh sounds cute :)

Melissa Walker said...

I can't wait to read this. I think it's getting a new cover and getting packaged with ENDLESS SUMMER (also getting a new cover?). Maybe I'm making that up. Either way, I'll check it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails